Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Pork for Thanksgiving?

This Thanksgiving, I have a lot to be thankful for. Mostly my improving health and the good health of my loved ones. We tend to take for granted our everyday blessings --  our ability to taste, the sensations on our skin, our mobility and ability to move freely without even thinking, my ability to read and write this blog. I'm going to take a long pause this weekend to be grateful. 

Back to the food... I had the opportunity to work with a real pro in the kitchen. My friend Tara has been a great cook since forever. She's currently going to chef school for formal training as she launches has her Ottawa catering company, OM Gourmet. Last Tuesday night, she catered a cocktail party for 100 guests. I had the privilege of watching her in action and sampling her creations.
She created an Indian-inspired hors d'oeuvres menu featuring cumin, cilantro and tamarind. What I learned from Tara is the importance of  balance both on the palate and on the serving platter. Tara made sure that each platter was neat, symmetrical and inviting. After all, we do eat with our eyes first.


Her cumin coriander crusted pork loin was a feast for the eyes that didn't disappoint the palate. The savoury pork was balanced with sweet caramelized onion marmalade and a tart fresh cranberry. Tara served the pork as appetizers. You can easily serve the dish as a main course. It's an easy alternative to Thanksgiving turkey. If you'd like the recipe for the Cumin Coriander Crusted Pork Loin, let me know and I'll try to coax it out of Tara.

Here's a picture of some leftover pork loin.

I'll have a new post after the long weekend. Until then, eat well and be well. I hope you enjoy all your blessings and good fortune this Thanksgiving weekend.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment