Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

All I want for Christmas...

I want my kitchen back! AK's Kitchen -- the real one -- has been out of commission for a while because of water damage. I won't get into the painful details, but suffice it to say the damage hit my favourite room, and the floors above and below it.

We were in decontamination mode for two weeks. Now we're in reconstruction mode. I can hardly wait for the final painting to happened days before Christmas.

With our ceiling ripped out and pot lights dangling, the kitchen has been a less-than-inspiring place to cook. We've been feasting on canned beans, tuna and fried eggs.  We've also been doing a lot of take-out shawarma.

Last night, I took back my kitchen and fired up the stovetop. I threw together a fast stir fry with my new favourite soya sauce.


This brand is free of wheat and gluten. No wonder I always felt ill after eating food made with my old brand of soya sauce. I made the connection after a friend told me that most soya sauce is made with wheat.

With a generous sprinkling of my new wheat-free condiment, along with leftover basmati rice, frozen veggies and frozen squid (my kids LOVE LOVE LOVE squid), I whipped up some fried rice.
We got most of the main food groups in one frying pan. Plus, it was a welcome break from canned pork and beans.
   
Seafood Fried Rice

Fingers crossed that Santa brings efficient elves to get my kitchen back on track before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment