Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Luscious Local Lamb

In my last posting, I promised an update on the spring lamb from Laurie McCannell's Sweet Garden Farm. Here it is.
Leg of lamb roasted with garlic and rosemary 

I cut small incisions into the flesh and tucked garlic cloves inside. I added a handful of fresh sprigs of  rosemary and wrapped everything in foil. I completely forgot to season the meat with salt and pepper.

As an aside, let me say that I have zero experience preparing lamb. I grew up on fish and pork. Another thing, the BBQ is hubby's domain. With my slow reflexes and my wonky eyes, being near anything combustible is not a good idea. I forgot this fact because I was so excited about the lamb. So, with my fingers crossed, I tried to fire up the BBQ and make my first leg of lamb.

I nearly singed my eyeballs!  The spontaneous flame made me revert to plan B -- oven roast.

It was 30 degrees Celcius outside with no air conditioning inside. My trusty Bosch oven cranked up the temperature in the kitchen to what felt like 100 degrees. But the heat didn't bother me because I was so intoxicated by the heavenly aroma of rosemary, garlic and lamb.

The three-pound leg roasted at 400 degrees for about 90 minutes. In hindsight, that was 10 minutes too long. The meat was well-done rather than medium rare, which I prefer.  Still, it was juicy, tender and delicious. It was especially tasty with the Laurie's rosehip sauce mixed with the jus from the roasting pan.
Laurie MacCannell's rosehip sauce with lamb jus 

If you're craving lamb, contact Sweet Garden Farm and tell Laurie that AK's Kitchen sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment