Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pain Management

My morning fuel comes in an eight-ounce mug. Inside is a triple shot of espresso and one shot of chocolate almond or soya milk. This is how I start my day.



I was never a coffee drinker until the autumn of 2010. Coffee was a form of pain management after one of my physicians mentioned that caffeine can be effective in managing headaches and migraines in some patients. I tried it, and it worked for me.




The caffeine hit was effective in dulling the neurological pain. For the first few months, I could only smell the aroma of the coffee beans, without enjoying the flavour because I had lost my sense of taste. At the time, my body could not detect heat from cold. The receptors in my mouth, on my face and much of my body were non-responsive. I was not able to feel the difference between an ice cube and boiling water.
The ribbon of steam from the coffee was my visual cue.  Over time as my sense of taste came back, I developed an appreciation for the complex flavours of coffee. I've kept up the morning ritual. These days, I imbibe more for the pleasure, not so much the pain.

My friend Maya is coming over to make a pot of Turkish coffee. Once we're caffeined-up, we'll have plenty of new recipes and cooking techniques to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment