Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Brunch

We all slept in on a glorious Sunday morning. This is a rare occurence with three children who rise and shine as early as 6:30 A.M. on weekends.

To ease into the day, I turned on some Motown tunes and prepared our favourite pancakes.


This recipe is free of gluten and processed sugar. I use dates to add sweetness. A store-bought GF flour works fine. This morning, I used a combination of buckwheat, coconut and sorghum flours. This combo results in a heavy, hearty pancake.

I've also used rice and tapioca flours in place of buckwheat and sorghum. They work well too, if you prefer a lighter, thinner pancake. I try to incorporate coconut flour whenever I can because I love the taste, as well as the protein and fibre content.



I served my pancakes with diced Ontario peaches,  local honey AND blueberry goat cheese. I was happily stuffed for hours!

AK's GF Pancakes


1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 eggs
5 pitted dates (or more for more sweetness) 
2 TBSP melted coconut oil/ butter
1/4 cup water
rind from 1/2 a lemon  
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup gluten free flour (1/2 c buckwheat + 1/4 sorghum + 1/4 coconut flour)


Mix the baking powder and GF flour in a small bowl, and set aside. 
With a hand blender, combine the remaining ingredients until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients until well mixed.
Let the batter sit for 10 minutes.
Cook in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Feeds a family of five with about 1 dozen pancakes.

I usually double the recipe and freeze the leftovers. The batter does NOT keep well, so make sure to use it up entirely.

To reheat the pancakes, sprinkle a few drops of water onto the pancake before microwaving at 20-second intervals. It's best to microwave one pancake at a time to avoid uneven heating. You may need to repeat the microwaving until you get the desired warmth.  The reason I add a little water is to keep the pancake moist and avoid the cardboard consistency you often get from GF baked goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment