Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Giving Thanks

This Thanksgiving, I'm not spending much time planning and preparing holiday food. Instead, my thoughts turn to family.

My mother-in-law will leave a dingy hospital room later today. She is thrilled to return to her clean, familiar surroundings. We are thankful that she is regaining her strength. At the same time, we pray that another accident or health incident will not befall her.

A visit with the kids on Saturday will be good medicine for Nanny.They bring me joy and a welcome distraction whenever I become too consumed with my own health issues. This morning, for instance, I sat under a glorious sun and silently observed my youngest at play. It looked to me like Alexander was digging holes in a flowerbed. No, he was building a playground for the bugs.


"It's a play structure for the ants, Mama. I think it's good for the worms too."

For the next 20 minutes, building that dirt play structure for the little critters was the only thing that mattered to my five-year-old. He was carefree, living in that precious moment.

I am so thankful to my children for teaching me a valuable lesson: when I am occupied worrying, pursuing and achieving, I lose sight of the countless marvels all around.

I hope you and your family share a moment or two of wonderment this Thanksgiving weekend.

I'll be back next week with a new recipe and a visitor from across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment