Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Remedy for Sadness

Since the passing of a long-time friend, I had to digest more sad news from several fronts. It all made for an emotionally exhausting week.


I shed tears and ate lots of sugar. I tried to convince myself that the sugar would release endorphins, the happy hormones. Dark chocolate almonds and Iranian dates were my sugar of choice. I devoured handfuls and handfuls. My mindless consumption left me feeling fat rather than euphoric.



There are other remedies for sadness. My friend, Brenda offered hers over a double espresso and churros. Her words helped me shift my thinking. She explained that each of us has our own journey. It is OUR journey, no one else's. Once we are free of our physical bodies, we are free to be what we are meant to be -- pure love and happiness.

I lingered on Brenda's words. And for the first time in days, I felt happy.

I've stashed the chocolates. Now it's time to make my insides happier. Brenda's baked kale chips are a step in a more healthful direction.

I made a batch last night. The gang gobbled them up. Maybe I'll ad them to my Superbowl menu.

Baked Kale Chips
1 bunch of Kale
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil  
Salt to taste


Cut kale into large pieces and place on a baking sheet.
Brush kale lightly with oil, then sprinkle with salt.
Bake at 350 degree for 15- 20 minutes, or until kale is crisp. 


Note: Make sure you remove the thick stems running through the middle of the leaves. Otherwise, the chips will be limp, not crisp.  I made this mistake the last time I tried to make kale chips. Watch the kale carefully because they burn easily. 












No comments:

Post a Comment