Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheapskate Chicken

I've said this before: I'm a cheap date and a frugal cook. I'm proud of my thrifty inclination.
I tend to spend money on stuff that improves my quality of life. Quality ingredients and anything that affords me time are well-worth my dime.


When I come across something economical and tasty and healthy, I must share the wealth.
   
This recipe comes via one of my favourite Ottawa bloggers. Andrea's chicken burritos are an easy, tasty meal. I made one substitution (rice instead of tortillas) and two additions (red pepper and corn) to it.  
My daughter offers a hand in the meal stretching. 
Chicken breasts are the most expensive part of this recipe. Once you add inexpensive corn, black beans and sweet potato, you bulk it up with colouful fibre. One plate was enough to satisfy my hearty eaters.




This recipe served seven dinner plates, plus leftovers to make four lunches. At under $12 in total, that breaks down to $1.09 per serving. And it all came together in under 30 minutes. Now that's my idea of fast food.
AK's Cheapskate Chicken
The sweet potato and cinnamon are a match made in heaven. Like dark chocolate and toasted walnuts. I'll save that for the next post.


Cheapskate Chicken 
2 chicken breasts
2 sweet potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
oil olive for frying 
1 can black beans, rinsed

1 can corn kernels
1 red pepper, diced 
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon 
 
Rice 


Place the chicken breasts in a medium pot and cover with water.
Let simmer over medium heat.  
In a large skillet, saute the sweet potatoes and onion in olive oil. 
Once the chicken is nearly cooked and still pink, remove from the pot, saving the water.
Dice the chicken and add to the skillet.
Stir in beans, corn, red pepper and seasonings.
Pour two large spoonfuls of water from pot into the skillet. 
Let simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.
While chicken is simmering, cook the rice using the leftover chicken water. 


Serve the chicken over a bed of rice. Top with grated cheese and cilantro. 
Serves eight with leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment